Educational Benefits of the Memorial
Wilmington native, Mayor Bill Saffo, was made aware of the international attention achieved last year when the Scottish Society first met with him about the idea of a monument.
“My personal vision is that we have this beautiful riverwalk and we have so many tours that visit it every day, and I’ve always felt that should be where we depict the heritage of this community,” he said. “This place is rich with history and we have an opportunity to showcase it and share it with the world, and we should and need to do it.”
1. It will highlight the history of Wilmington and other cities in N.C.
2. It will reveal the Celtic culture in N.C. and the region.
3. It will show the cultural and environmental impact of the migration.
4. Education will come through the use of traditional plaques, modern electronics, and serve as a gathering place for lectures and performances.
5. Historical and Archaeological Studies with an emphasis on UNCW scholarship will be unified along with other schools & universities.